Anyway, in March, 2005, I got 6 chicks. (the last year's
hens died from varmints and old age).
Here they were, in their first chosen home, the pie plate that was supposed to hold their feed.
From left to right, Two barred rocks, two Rhode Island Reds, and two (one visible) Buff Orpingtons.
Because of the varmint problem (I've seen a least weasel right where the chickens are, and one time a bobcat was seen killing some), I rethought their cage with security as the first consideration.
The cage I built looks like this:
This came first: A nursery, turning into a nesting box and roosting area. Both windows swing open, and when the front window is open, the tray under the roosting dowels can be pulled out for dumping.
At the time I'm writing this, the chicks have seen the exit to their outside area, but only one went down, got lonely, and couldn't figure out how to get back to the group.
Here's the outside area, to the left of the roosting area
It's designed to walk in for cleaning. There's a sort of stair steps of dowels for the chickens to get up into their roosting area. The whole thing is secured with 1/2 inch hardware cloth, and bricks under the bottom. Something could dig in with a lot of effort...
Here's how the chicks look at a little over 2 weeks:
They can fly up to the roosts a bit. They've moved to the nesting box, where they look out at the world through the window.
to Brad's main index
to Brad's garden index
Send comments to firstname.lastname@example.org